I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page for you. I’ll be adding to this list as I find more things I think will be a real value to you. And please know that I don’t recommend things lightly. If you see it here on the list, these are things/people, etc. that I have personally found valuable in my own journey to a great voice. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand that I have experience with all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.
Singing & Performing
- The Voice Club: This is my studio. The Voice Club Method is different from any other training approach you’ll find. Our emphasis is on teaching you the ‘why’: why your voice does or doesn’t do something, what you should do and why you should bother. We repair broken speaking and singing voices. Our private Skype coaching and online live classes (coming this fall) are geared toward empowering the singer with tools previously reserved for high level professional singers. Sign up on the mailing list for bonus goodies.
- Tom Jackson’s OnStage Success: Tom is a live show producer. In short, that means he’s one of the guys who is responsible for the excitement you feel when you see artists like Taylor Swift live. I originally met Tom at an Indie event. He’s a great guy, super easy to learn from and his DVD programs are seriously incredible. Unless you have $2500+/hr. to spend on taking your performance to the next level, you will not get this quality of training anywhere else.
- Brett Manning’s Singing Success: Brett and I have many things in common in the way we train voices. I’ve enjoyed getting to know Brett and he’s got some great CD/DVD programs that I think you might really enjoy.
Voiceovers & Speaking
- Experts Academy: Brendon Bruchard is a NY Times best selling trainer of powerful presenters. His program really revolutionized the way I speak for large groups. He’s got a ton of free great info in this video series. Everyone who ever speaks in front of people should watch this free training series.
Gear & Recording Stuff
- MXL 3000 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone: This is the microphone I’m currently using for VO and vocals in my studio. I bought it when it was $500 but it’s under $200 now! I’ve owned more pricey mics but I love the way this one sounds especially for the female voice.
Tech, Business & Other Tools
- Bluehost: After years of trying website hosts, I now have 100% of my websites on Bluehost. Why? Because it’s incredibly easy to use with 1-click automatic WordPress installation and excellent customer service – via phone and via chat (ie. REAL LIVE PEOPLE that answer techie questions for free). I highly recommendusing Bluehost. I couldn’t be happier with them.
- StudioPress WordPress Themes: I’m not the type to contact a company to brag on them but I did just that after I started working with StudioPress themes. I build my own sites (learned DIY style from the ground up) and discovering Genesis (their framework) and their themes made a huge difference in the effectiveness of my sites and the ease of designing with their tutorials.